We are currently open to new applications.
If you’re a local university or college student (over 18s only), you can apply to work one 3.5 hour shift in exchange for a free ticket to the rest of the day.
Shifts run 10am-1.30pm, 1.30pm-4.30pm, 4.30pm-8pm. We’ll try to accommodate shift preferences but it won’t always be possible, especially as we have more shifts available in the morning than in the evening. All stewards must also attend a mandatory briefing punctually at 9.40am.
Stewarding involves activities like helping visitors find venues, putting on visitors’ festival bands, managing access to events, etc. You may be standing up outside (though under cover) for periods, but we’ll try to rotate people on these duties. You’ll get an infosheet in advance explaining the types of things you might be asked to do and what you need to bring, etc. You’ll get a YA Shot t-shirt to wear on the day as well as a snack and bottle of water to keep you going. There will be briefing first thing where you can ask questions.
YA Shot partners with another important event in the UKYA calendar: we’ll be announcing the details soon. Our partner event starts at 6pm and runs until 8.30pm. You will also get free entrance to this event when you are not on shift, though you must request a ticket if you want one and return it if you decide not to use it.
Just drop us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) from your college/uni email address if you want to apply or have any questions. To apply you’ll need to fill in a short electronic form, including a photo (a selfie of reasonable quality is fine). You’ll also need to provide the details of one referee at your university or college.
Please only complete and return the form if you have every intention of stewarding at YA Shot: we have an agreement to notify the universities and colleges we work with of anyone who drops out and anyone who doesn’t show up on the day. Also remember that we only have a certain number of stewarding slots: if you’re not sure you want to do it, don’t take the place of someone who desperately wants to come and couldn’t otherwise afford it. Above all remember that we’re a not-for-profit organisation seeking to become a charity: we’re run by people volunteering their time. Please respect our commitment by applying only if you’re prepared to make one of your own.
- You must attend the Stewards Briefing punctually at 9.40am. If you’re not there, you won’t be able to steward.
- You must be over 18 and studying at a local college or university. By local we mean somewhere in or around London: you should live not more than one hour from Uxbridge.
- You must be punctual for your shift and stay for the whole period.
- You must be physically fit and able to stand for protracted periods of time.
- You must be professional, friendly and welcoming to everyone.
- You must respect all our visitors and use courteous, non-discriminatory language.
- You must read the YA Shot Stewards’ Infosheet thoroughly and carefully. You must follow the requirements and rules laid out in the Infosheet, especially those to do with health and safety, and safeguarding of young and vulnerable people.
- You must wear your YA Shot t-shirt and maintain a neat, clean appearance. You must follow our dress code, especially as regards health and safety issues.